Just thought I’d share that Adobe extended their discount offer on Creative Suite 4.
UPGRADE TO ADOBE CREATIVE SUITE AND SAVE UP TO US$200.
For a limited time, your version of Adobe® Creative Suite® 2, Creative Suite 1, Macromedia® Studio 8, Studio MX 2004, or Production Studio software qualifies you for up to US$200 off on eligible upgrades to Adobe Creative Suite 4 software. Don't hesitate, this offer ends April 30, 2009.
You’ll also find 6 hours of free video training to check out on their site. I’m one of the organizers of the group and I hope you can share this info with others. The group is free... the video is free... knowldge is free... let’s make a difference.
Here are the six videos you can watch (in HD even).
- New Media Boot Camp – slides
- Facebook 101– Why all the Buzz? – slides
- Podcasting and Government – slides
- Blogging to Reach an Audience – Does Anyone Care What You Have to Say – slides
- It’s all About Mobility – Reaching Audiences on the Go – slides
- Producing Video for the Web – Best Practices for Big Results – slides
Q: What’s Safari Books Online?
A: It’s a ton of books you can read online from publishers like Peachpit, O’Reilly, and others.
Q: Is it really free?
A: Sign up for the trial... order a book. If you don’t like, cancel within the 10-day trial period. Otherwise they bill you for first month (which is about the cost of a book).
Q: Which Books are Free?
A: There are 10 to choose from.
- Mastering CSS with Dreamweaver CS4 – Stephanie Sullivan, Greg Rewis
- Building Findable Websites: Web Standards, SEO, and Beyond – Aarron Walter
- A Project Guide to UX Design – Russ Unger, Carolyn Chandler
- Online Communities Handbook – Anna Buss, Nancy Strauss
- Mac OS X Leopard Killer Tips – Scott Kelby
- The Hot Shoe Diaries: Big Light from Small Flashes –Joe McNally
- The Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 2 Book: The Complete Guide for Photographers – Martin Evening
- The Photoshop Elements 7 Book for Digital Photographers – Scott Kelby, Matt Kloskowski
- Facebook Me! A Guide to Having Fun with Your Friends and Promoting Your Projects on Facebook –Dave Awl
- SocialCorp: Social Media Goes Corporate – Joel Postman
Continue to the Layers Magazine website to see the full tutorial for free.
Here are some of the promised resources.
Photoshop For Video
Professional Color Correction in Final Cut Pro
Producing Video Podcasts and Web Video
Enjoy... reviews on Amazon and iTunes always appreciated.
The official blurb
Adobe Creative Suite 4 brings together two powerful animation tools, each of which has its own specialized features and workflow. Learning to integrate Adobe After Effects and Adobe Flash Professional gives you more options for your animations and effects and the power to integrate video and motion graphics into a richer user experience. In this book, authors Richard Harrington and Marcus Geduld lead both types of users, those who are more familiar with either Flash or with After Effects, on using the programs together for maximum efficiency and creativity.
After walking you through the core features of both programs, the authors then explore advanced uses for each application. Each chapter focuses on a particular function of the program, teaching you how to create content for Flash with After Effects, enhance your projects using 3D environments, create professional-looking video with Adobe Media Encoder, and add interactivity, accessibility, and searchability to your video. You’ll also get hands-on experience using the project files on the accompanying DVD.
Within these easy-to-follow, step-by-step lessons, you’ll learn to:
- Seamlessly exchange projects and assets between After Effects and Flash
- Shoot green screen material correctly, work with Keylight, and utilize embedded alpha channels
- Create dynamic text, vector-based animations, and “animated” video using the tools in Adobe Creative Suite 4
- Work with 3D cameras and lights and create 3D environments
- Convert Flash to broadcast and DVD standards with After Effects
- Use Adobe Media Encoder for professional results
- Create interactive controls and use cue points in your video
- Optimize video for accessibility and use Adobe® Soundbooth® for video transcription
- Use ActionScript in your projects for more innovative animations
Get your copy now.... it really has some fun projects and cool things in it.
Photoshop World Expo
March 26 - 27
If you are going to be in the Boston area in March but can't attend Photoshop World, you can still come join us at the Photoshop World Expo absolutely FREE!
The Expo portion of Photoshop World is a showcase of the latest cutting-edge digital imaging, computer- and design-related technologies, products, and services. You can also take advantage of free classes and product demos, as well as special discounts on the latest books and DVDs at the Official Photoshop World/Peachpit Bookstore!
Get your FREE, downloadable EXPO PASS ($40 value)
Photoshop World: The Eastern Conference Expo Hours: Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 1:00pm to 5:00pm Friday, March 27, 2009 - 9:00am to 1:00pm Hynes Convention Center 900 Boylston Street Boston, MA 02115 Hall C
The fine folks at Focal Press have decided to release two free updates. The popular books Photoshop for Video and Creating Motion Graphics both have free updates for the Creative Suite 4 release.
Even if you don’t have these two books (which I’d really suggest you check them out)... the CS4 updates are absolutely free.
The book is on sale at Amazon for 30% off, and adds some great new stuff.
The book is on sale at Peachpit’s website for 35% off. If ordering from Peachpit, use the discount code UAPTWO at checkout.
We’ve made our podcast series totally interactive for our book readers (more in a few days).
You can access a free chapter on Automation here.
You can view an excerpt from a chapter on color correction here.
The books are in my hands and shipping from both Peachpit and Amazon.
If you like the book... PLEASE write a review (I’d really appreciate it).
Noted author Scott Kelby has released his annual gift guide. What’s great about the list is that there are some really cool tools on there for photogs and even hobbyists. It’s nothing but the coolest photography and Photoshop gear.
“Since many of you are new to the gear guide, I wanted to let you know how I make my picks each year, and why I think it’s different than most other guides you’ll find out there these days. Put simply, every item in here is stuff I actually use, it’s stuff I’m crazy about, and now it’s become stuff I can’t live without (which is sad, in a way), and it’s the same stuff I recommend to my friends (well, my friends with room on their Visa cards).”
I agree with several of his picks, already using things like the Hoodman Loupe and Boda Bag myself. Be sure to check it out.
“One classic technique that digital cameras make very easy is blending more than one exposure together for contrast control, increased dynamic range, or creative purposes. A variation on this technique is to apply different RAW-conversion settings to a single RAW file and then combine the files into a single image. Let’s explore both approaches and look at the proper camera technique behind the scenes.”
Richard Harrington shows you how to use the color range command and how CS4 makes it even easier to make a localized selection.
Want the videos in HD? Then check out our iTunes version.